Sunday, November 29, 2009

Little noises

We have a 7 month old son. Between 6-7am we begin to hear stirring and little noises emanating from the tiny human who invaded our home in April. The little noises are amplified by a baby monitor and sent via radio waves to the receiver in our bedroom. These little noises move me to slow action as I drag, sometimes stumble down the dim corridor to the entrance to his room. It is still dark outside but I can see the sun casting pink and deep purple light on the lower sky as I pass the large windows facing our backyard.

The little noises cease when the tiny human hears the wooden floor creak outside the door. His room is dark and I make my way to the crib. I can't quite make out which way he has turned in the night, but I see his figure squirming in his crib. As my eyes adjust and the fog lifts I see a tiny human staring back at me, he looks like me.... He freezes, then he smiles at me. I do not possess the lexicon to describe the feeling of joy that this moment in my day brings me. I reach for him and the tiny human responds by preparing for fatherly liftoff from the small patch of earth he has been dreaming on for the last 10 hours. I embrace him and he rolls his head down on my shoulder and rubs the sleep from his tiny eyes. He has been silent for a few moments as if to let God speak to us in the morning hush.

As I walk him from his room to greet mommy and our dog, the little noises resume. I take a mental picture and suspend the moment as long as I can. I burn it into my memory and realize that this is just a tiny glimpse of a heavenly eternity filled with unsurpassed joy and peace.

Good morning my son :)

Lance Cashion


Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home