Thursday, December 31, 2009

Admit One... Farewell My Friend

Tommy Welsh was my friend.  He was a man of God and helped me on my walk with Christ.  He encouraged me and led by example.  Tommy knew the Bible and he shared that knowledge.  He was the type of man who was large on persona and spirit.  Always laughing and interested in what you had to say.  He told stories about life, God, and the outdoors.  He was kind.  He liked to get right up in your face when he talked to you.  He would put a hand on your shoulder constantly drawing you in.  He truly engaged people he was with.  Tommy would entertain you. You knew he was there.  He loved his wife, Marlene.  Marlene and Tommy have been like an aunt and uncle to me.  I remember many a Christmas day going to their house for lunch.

Tommy invited me to breakfast one morning at Montgomary Cafe to talk about God and our love for shotguns.  He was not afraid to share.

The last time I went shooting with Tommy was in Aug or Sept.  I had never shot skeet from the towers on a range.  I showed up to Fort Worth Trap and Skeet Club in 100 degree heat in slacks and polo.  Needless to say, it was too hot for slacks.  We bought 3 tickets to shoot 3 rounds of skeet and proceded to head out to the range to meet a friend of his.  I stepped up for my 1st round and really had a tough go at it.  As I worked through the stations, Tommy was pretty quiet as I struggled and missed everything I shot at.  It was quite embarassing and stressful.  I'm a decent shot (or at least I thought I was).

After a humiliating 1st round, we took a rest.  Tommy asked me if I would mind some pointers.  LOL!  Of course I wanted some pointers.  I was filling the sky with lead and clays were getting away.  When we started the second round, Tommy started giving me some instructions.  He showed me where to stand, how to stand, where to position my feet, how to position my upper and lower body in reference to the towers, where to position the barrell, where to look, how to swing through the target... I started busting clays and hitting doubles like nobody's business!  He showed me the process of setting up and how I must adjust my position at every station.  In 2 minutes, I had the mechanics down and having fun.

Right before the 3rd round, my cell phone rang and I had to come home and take care of my son while my wife went on an appointment.  It was hard for me to leave... but leave I must.  As I was saying thanks, good bye and getting in my car.  I remembered the extra ticket in my pocket.  We had only shot two rounds.  I reached in my pocket, grabbed the ticket and handed it to Tommy.  I told him to take it, since I was headed home.  He said, "You hold on to it, we'll come out here again sometime... you can use it then."

I found that yellow "admit one" ticket in my drawer yesterday morning.  I wished I could head out to the range and shoot some clays with my friend.  Just one more round before you leave.  One more chuckle, one more story, one more lesson.  Thank you for saving seats for us at church.  Thanks for ministering to me and helping me become a better man in Christ.

See you on God's golden shores someday.

I think I'll take this ticket to the range and shoot a round of clays and try to remember what you taught me.  Maybe I'll hear some laughing in the wind.


Thomas Neal Welsh, 67, went to be with his Lord and Savior, 
Jesus Christ, Sunday, Dec. 27, 2009, after a brief illness.


Lance Cashion
Click Here to Receive My Newsletter
FaceBook
Twitter
google

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anita said...

May Thomas find peace with the Lord.

12/31/2009 08:36:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home