Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Intel: Healthcare Reform Logic

Many of you have asked me my opinions on Healthcare Reform.  Rather than give you a political rant, I will provide you with insight into how I view and approach problems.  On a side note, thank you to everyone who replied to my Newsletter with questions (Link to opt-in: Click here).  I hope that I have served you well.  If not, you can call me out on my own blog for the world to see! LOL (watch the language... hee hee)

Ok, I said it! "Healthcare Reform!" Some of you have been waiting for me to dive into this one. So I will. And I will do so by addressing the REAL issue, which has very little to do with Healthcare and more to do with Bureaucracy (and function of). We need to look at this for what it is, bureaucracy attempting to solve problems for people/organizations outside the bureaucracy. Solving problems within a dynamic environment like Healthcare/Health Insurance is not within Bureaucracy's skill set. And I'll explain why.


It's like giving a commercial contactor a blank check for a $10,000 home kitchen remodel. Empirical evidence proves that bureaucracies cannot efficiently function to serve outside themselves, much less solve problems outside themselves. By their nature, bureaucracies are self- serving and only interested in self preservation. There are positive and negative attributes. It's how Bureaucracies function and their uses that is important. They behave and function like cement. Cement is not pliable or cooperative. Cement is dense, unyielding and not easily changed or modified. Bureaucracies share these characteristics. The Federal Government is the ultimate bureaucracy. Wanting, hoping, and/or wishing that the Federal Government bureaucracy will behave any differently is at best wishful thinking and at worst ignorant. This is the same in regards to Healthcare Reform. The intention of Healthcare Reform may be good, but we're asking an institution to behave contrary to its very nature.

For example: We can't expect a school bus to successfully execute hair-pin turn like a Ferrari can. We can't expect a 747 Aircraft to bank like an F-22 Raptor. The same laws apply to Government and Bureaucracies, in general. Expecting them to behave counter to their nature is illogical and unrealistic. That said I want you to know that I'm not prejudice against Cement, School busses, 747s, or the Federal Government. In fact, they are essential for the tasks that they were designed for (transport or support of a high volume of people, weight or goods). The Federal Government has its function but expansion into private healthcare is not one of them. It is like filling a fully-functional swimming pool with cement because you found a small crack at the bottom. Filling your pool with cement will fix the crack but your pool is rendered useless. Removing the cement is virtually impossible without expending massive effort (and in the case of a Bureaucracy, it knows this).

You don't rebuild your engine if all you need is an oil change. You don't call a plumbing company to perform heart surgery and you don't call a hospital to install a hot water heater. I guess you get the picture… I like analogies.


I submit Healthcare needs an oil change, not a rebuild or overhaul. Like the media, the Federal Government (particularly Congress) has become adept at the art of manipulating the perception of reality (or portrayal of). Like the artist, Salvador Dali, who painted in a quasi-realistic form called surrealism where the images conjure a sense of the recognizable common object or scene, but is abstracted by placing it in a non-realistic environment or by deforming its shape. Basically, they present a hyper-reality or non-reality when it suites their self-serving nature. It becomes less about the individual's survival and more about the Bureaucracy's survival. I will be the first one to tell you that Bureaucracies are present within the Healthcare industry. However, there is a huge difference when the bureaucracy is sustained by profits (taxes are not profits). No profits, no more insurance company. In contrast, the Federal Government Bureaucracy is self-aware and knows that it feeds itself through taxes which we are forced to pay. There is no incentive for this particular Bureaucracy to do anything but grow larger and become denser, further cementing the environment(s) it comes in contact with, rendering them uninhabitable by anything but the Bureaucracy.

Next week, I'll dive into this subject again and we'll look at it from different angle. I'll try to leave personal politics out of it b/c there is too much emotional charge.

So, you get where I'm going with this? We have a problem in America and it has less to do with Healthcare and more to do with Bureaucracy gone wild. I refuse to get involved with the political minutia because I'm about attacking and curing the disease. I'm about seeing through the fog to what the real problem is. Given, I am one man… what is one man's input worth? Can input from individuals who solve problems for a living penetrate the largest bureaucracy man has ever known?

See you next week on this one!

Lance Cashion
Click Here to Receive My Newsletter
FaceBook
Twitter
google

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anita said...

Thanks Lance, for saying it how it is...Hopefully you have opened, and will open many more eye's with this!

1/08/2010 08:28:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home